Start of 2020 School Year Arrangements
START OF SCHOOL ARRANGEMENTS FOR 2020
The first day of school for students is Monday 3 February 2020. For the first day, all students will need to bring writing materials such as an A4 file and lined paper, pens and pencils. Teachers will explain to their students what specific equipment will be required for future lessons. It is advisable for them to also bring lunch on the first day, although our Canteen will be operational and students can order lunch prior to school and during recess.
Please take note of our siren times for 2020:
Monday - Friday
Recess 25 Minutes
Lunch 25 Minutes
At the sound of the siren on day one:
Year 7 students report to the Rose Garden at front of school
Year 8 students report to the Canteen undercover stage area
Year 9 students report to the Gym
Year 10 students report to the Library
Year 11 students report to the Theatre
Year 12 students report to the foyer in the Dance Room
After year group assembly, students will be directed to their first period class and begin their school work.
The Uniform Shop will be open on Thursday 30 January 2020, 10.00am to 6.00pm and Friday 31 January 2020, 10.00am to 2.00pm before school starts.
The following days and times indicate opening times once school has commenced:
Monday 3 February 8.00am to 9.15am
Tuesday 4 February 8.15am to 9.15am
Wednesday 5 February 8.15am to 9.15am
Thursday 6 February 8.15am to 9.15am
Friday 7 February 8.15am to 9.15am
The opening times for the Uniform Shop from week two and through the year will be Tuesday and Wednesday from 8.15am to 9.15am.
The Administration Reception re-opens for business on Tuesday 28 January 2020.
In this information pack you will find:
- Voluntary Contributions & Compulsory Charges 2020 Statement
- Booklist requirements issued for Lakeland SHS by Campion Education
- Additional Cost Sheet
- 2020 Secondary Assistance Scheme (SAS) Information
- A letter from the P & C Association
- A Canteen Menu
- Uniform Order form/School Dress Code
To ensure the financial viability of the school and to enable it to provide a quality educational program for the students in its care, the School Board has approved Voluntary Contributions and Compulsory Charges for the 2020 school year along with other additional requirements.
The income generated from both Contributions & Charges is vitally important to the school providing an enriched educational experience for your child. Students should derive the full benefit from the voluntary contribution and compulsory charges they pay. Failure to pay your contributions and charges places a large burden on the school community. The school relies upon all families to contribute. Your support of the school through the prompt payment of these Contributions and Charges will be greatly appreciated.
Contributions & Charges are due by the first day of school. The School’s Administration Reception will be open to take payments on:
Thursday 30 January 2020 from 8.00am to 6.00pm
Friday 31 January 2020 from 8.00am to 4.00pm
School Charges and Voluntary Contributions can be settled by any of the following methods:
- EFTPOS (cheque or savings accounts)
- Credit Card (Visa or MasterCard)
- Periodical Payment Schedule (Net Pay for Saving accounts)
- Electronic Funds Transfer (Net Banking or over counter at bank)
- Secondary Assistance Scheme (SAS)
Cash payments can be made at the school’s administration reception, either in person or you can send in payments with your child. Please take advantage of the nominated open dates of Thursday 30 January 2020, 8.00am to 6.00pm and Friday 31 January 2020, 8.00am to 4.00pm.
Cheques are to be written out to “Lakeland Senior High School”. Cheque payments can be made at the school’s administration reception either in person or you can send payment in with your child. You may wish to post a cheque to the school. If posting please detach and return remittance advice on the voluntary contribution and compulsory charges statement or enclose a note with Student’s name and year.
EFTPOS payments from either your savings or cheque account can be made at the school’s administration reception in person, as a PIN is required.
Credit Card payments can be made at the school’s administration reception either in person or return remittance advice with your child or by post. You can also call the school to make arrangements over the phone.
PERIODICAL PAYMENT FROM NOMINATED BANK ACCOUNT
The school is registered with Network Payment Solutions (NPS Collectsmart) - Credit Monitoring Systems which allows installments to be made from your nominated Bank Account. There is an installment authority form attached for your information. Completed forms need to be returned to the Manager Corporate Services.
ELECTRONIC FUNDS TRANSFER (EFT)
We also offer the option of direct debit via electronic funds transfer. To take advantage of this payment option, please use the following bank details:
Lakeland Senior High School
Account No. 10083315
* Please use student’s name and year group as reference.
E.g. David Smith Yr 7
SECONDARY ASSISTANCE SCHEME (SAS)
The Department of Education provides an allowance to Parents/Guardians who are holders of the following:
- Centrelink Family Health Care Card
- Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
- Veterans’ Affairs Pensioner Concession Card (only the blue annual Veterans’ Affair Card is eligible)
Card held must be current some time in first term (3 February – 10 April 2020). The allowance is paid up to and including the year the student turns 18 years of age. The allowance consists of two components:
- $115.00 Clothing Allowance paid directly to the parent/guardian or you may elect this to be paid to the school and put towards your child’s voluntary contribution and compulsory charges.
- $235.00 Educational Program Allowance paid directly to the school. In years 7 to 10, this will be put towards the voluntary contributions. In years 11 and 12, this will be taken off compulsory charges.
Please see enclosed “2020 Secondary Assistance Scheme” for more information.
A new application needs to be made each year. To apply for the assistance, please attend in person at the School’s Administration Reception before Friday 10 April 2020. No late applications will be accepted by Department of Education after this date. Note that the school cannot send the forms home to be filled in.
Please also note that if you have claimed or intend to claim the ABSTUDY School Fees Allowance in 2020, you are not eligible to also apply for SAS.
Voluntary Contributions for Year 7 to 10 cover essential items that cannot be withdrawn for non-payment. All schools are required to make sure that all students can choose an educational program that satisfies the requirements of the Curriculum Framework. The maximum Voluntary Contribution that can be requested is $235.00. If the Educational Program Allowance is claimed under Government policy, it is used to reduce voluntary contributions. Policy states: ‘$235 Educational Program Allowance is paid directly to the school. This amount reduces the voluntary contributions requested of the parent/guardian in year 7-10.’
Compulsory Charges for Year 7 to 10 is for high cost and enrichment items associated with a particular course. These may be for specialised materials or for visiting speakers, performers and such like.
Compulsory Charges for Year 11 & 12 covers all courses. All activities undertaken in year 11 & 12 are treated as optional components under the Governments Contributions and Charges Policy. There is no established maximum for cost in post-compulsory years.
In addition to the above, extra cost optional components may also be requested during the year and these are listed on the Additional Cost Sheet. We also have Approved Optional Costs and Additional Voluntary Requests, which can be seen on the Contributions & Charges statement. A brief description can be found below.
EXTRA COST OPTIONAL COMPONENTS, APPROVED OPTIONAL REQUEST and ADDITIONAL VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTIONS
SCHOOL YEAR BOOK
This is a record of events and achievements for the year and is a great keepsake for students. It will cost $15.00. Past year copies can be viewed at the School Reception.
The Library Contribution of $28.00 assists in the purchase and provision of resources for all students to use and borrow. These include:
- Fictional Books for English reading and to encourage recreational reading
- Information books and videos to support the learning areas
- Newspaper and magazine subscriptions to provide current information to students
- CD ROM, Laptops and audio visual equipment.
The library also facilitates programs:
- Providing students with reading programs for year 7 to 10
- Internet and General Research Skills for all years
- Many more assisted activities.
The funds raised will be used to subsidise the costs of employment of chaplains. It costs $20.00. Our Chaplain, Mrs Salome Candy, provides a valuable service to our school which includes:
- Pastoral support and care for students and their families and support the school in its aim to provide a safe, caring and nurturing environment.
- Positive role models, leaders in both the community and school environment, and a reference point for teachers, students and community members.
- Student and family referrals to other appropriate agencies and services.
- An integral link of the school partnership with the community and creates liaison opportunities between the school community, local churches and other community organisations within the City of Cockburn.
- Guidance and support for the many students at risk, including participation in camps, excursions, sporting programs and cultural events so that contact is made with as many students as possible.
Lakeland P&C is not a fundraising P&C but a group of parents who are taking an active interest in the school. There is a small levy of $10.00 that is paid along with the school fees, thus enabling the P&C committee to forgo any fundraising activities and donate all profits back to the school. Meetings are conducted once per term on the Monday night of week 5, unless something urgent arises and then we may call an emergency meeting.
If you require clarification of any of the material you have received or if you need additional information, please contact the school. I trust that 2020 will prove to be an enjoyable and productive year for us all.
Manager Corporate Services